Univision Launches AVOD OTT PRENDETV With Tv Channels and VOD Content in Spanish for Us Hispanic Audiences

Univision Communications Inc. announced that it has officially launched PrendeTV, originally announced last January. The platform offers channels and VOD content in Spanish for Hispanic audiences in the US, including titles from Univision, Televisa, RCN, Caracol and Globo, as well as movies from Disney, Lionsgate and MGM, which will be included soon.

Launching PrendeTV: A New Streaming Service

prende tv on spanish

According to the information reported by Univision, free premium programming offered by PrendeTV will include 40 channels and over 10 thousand hours of VOD content in Spanish. Also, in addition to the ones just mentioned, other partners that will offer content in Spanish on the platform will be Benijay, Blue Ant Media, Calinos, Cisneros, Filmrise, Nelvana, and others.

Expansive Content and Partnerships

spanish content tv

The launch of Prende TV takes place after Univision announced, in early February, the acquisition of the AVOD OTT Vix, also launched in Brazil in 2020. In addition, last February, Univision announced its sale to investment funds SearchLight and ForgeLight. Under the terms of the transaction, the firms acquired 64% of the company, while the remaining 36% belongs to Televisa.

‘The launch of PrendeTV means a new transformation era for Univision, as we expand our already dominant position in the US Hispanic broadcasting into the AVOD streaming market, and build on our leadership as the largest Spanish-language content and media company in the US’, reported Pierluigi Gazzolo, President and Chief Transformation Officer at Univision. ‘Apart from our exclusive Univision and Televisa programming, we have brought together the best content providers, brands and distribution partners to create an unrivaled service for US Hispanics in a way that only Univision can’.

PrendeTV is available on Amazon Fire TV devices, Apple (iOS and tvOS), Google (Android phones and TV devices); and via the web at prende.tv. From Univision they reported that  the AVOD OTT will soon be available on the Roku platform. PrendeTV was released with global brand and category-leading advertisers,  including Chase, Clorox, Coca-Cola, Dunkin’, McDonald’s, Toyota, Walmart and Universal Pictures.

PrendeTV’s Strategic Growth and Accessibility

Some of the channels that will be available on Prende TV will be, ‘Jajaja and ‘Risas de Oro’’, with popular comedy and stand-up shows; ‘Nuestras series’, which will offer some of the best series from Latin America; sports channels such as ‘Liga MX’, with a catalog of different matches of the Mexican football competition; ‘Futbol Europeo’ and ‘Combate Americas’, with Latin stars boxing events; ‘Angelique’, focused on novels starring Mexican actress Angelique Boyer; ‘Novelas en familia’; ‘Amor Turco’, which will offer Turkish dramas; ‘Fe’, focused on religious programming; ‘Nene’, with educational programming for children; ‘Animetro’, with Japanese anime titles; ‘Love Nature’, featuring wildlife and nature programming; ‘¡Guau!’, with short videos; and blockbuster movie channels that will be launched soon, such as ‘Cine Hollywood’; ‘Cine VIP’; ‘Cine Extremo’; ‘Cine Extremo 2’ and ‘Cine Boom’.

Rafael Urbina, General Manager/Executive Vice President of AVOD Streaming at Univision, is one of the confirmed executives that will start in the ‘Opportunities for AVOD’ panel, which will take place during the coming Nextv Ad Latin America virtual event, organized by Dataxis, to be held on May 26th and 27th.