Sutel approves acquisition of Cabletica by Liberty

Costa Rica’s Telecommunications Superintendency (Sutel) has approved the acquisition of Cabletica by Liberty Latin America, announced in February, for CRC 143 billion (approximately USD 250 million).
Now, Liberty and Televisora de Costa Rica, the current owner of the operator, must comply with the agreed conditions to conclude the deal, reported local newspaper El Financiero. The transaction is expected to close by September.
Liberty Latin America will acquire 80% of Cabletica, while Televisora de Costa Rica will maintain the remaining 20%. The Costa Rican company will continue as the owner of the TV station Teletica, the digital platform TD+ and the MVNO operator Tuyo Móvil.
According to the El Financiero, the authorities must now grant the operator license to Liberty, as well as the concession for the frequencies used to download content from the satellite.