Movistar features almost 250 thousand IPTV clients and strengthens FTTH deployment in Colombia

As part of its Q2 2021 results report presentation, the telecommunications company Movistar Colombia (Telefonica) reported that its IPTV offer ended the period with 247 thousand subscribers (a figure that means a 79.6% year-on-year growth). Likewise, Movistar TV’s clients  totaled 527 thousand at the end of the period.

In relation to the company’s fixed business, Movistar Colombia continues to strengthen its transformation towards fiber optic. This way, a total of 1.2 million broadband clients were reported at the end of June, of which 401 thousand already have FTTH offers, a figure that shows a 47.4% annual growth.

On the other hand, Movistar Colombia reported a total of 20.3 million clients. Of this figure, 17.2 million belong to its mobile business, which achieved a year-on-year growth of 10. (Provigil) 3% as of June 30th. This way, the postpaid mobile client portfolio ended June with 370 thousand new clients (13.9% year-on-year growth), and the prepaid mobile business reported a growth of 8.9% year-on-year, with 542 thousand new clients at the end of the Q2.

‘The company’s performance during the first half of the year is the result of the established business strategy, as well as the teamwork to guarantee the commercial growth of the main products, amid the challenges imposed by the country’s situation and the growth of competition in the area. It is worth highlighting the recent agreement with KKR, which will allow us to bring the benefits of our fiber to 4.3 million HPs in the next three years’, reported Fabian Hernandez, CEO at Movistar Colombia.

The already mentioned agreement between Movistar Colombia and the Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) investment fund focuses on building a new company to deploy FTTH in Colombia. As officially reported in mid-July, the aim of the new entity will be to bring FTTH to about 90 cities in the country in the next three years, and cover, as it was also already mentioned, 4.3 million HPs with this technology. The agreement establishes KKR as the owner of 60% of the new company, while the remaining 40% will belong to Movistar Colombia.