Mexico’s pay TV shows small Q1 growth

Mexico’s Federal Institute of Telecommunications (IFT) released the first quarter results of its Telecommunications Information Bank (BIT in Spanish) in which it reported 19.5 million pay TV subscribers and 16.1 million Internet subs.

According to BIT data, total pay TV subscriptions grew by 1.9% compared to the same period last year, but fell by 0.1% compared to the fourth quarter of 2016. Pay TV households penetration remained stable throughout the period, at 59%.

Satellite TV subscriptions accounted for 56%, while cable TV subscriptions represented the remaining 44%. Grupo Televisa dominates with 59.7% of the total subscriptions, followed by Dish-MVS with 17.3% and Megacable with 15%.

The fixed broadband segment grew 7.5% when compared to previous year. The penetration of the service went from 46% in the first quarter of 2016 to 48% in Q117.

The Telecommunications Information Bank is a digital tool of the Mexican regulator that allows users to consult data on the sector’s development.