Mexico’s pay TV grows 15% and now leads in Latin America

The Federal Telecommunications Institute of Mexico (IFT) reported that the pay TV market in the country reached 19.5 million subscribers in Q216, up 15% compared to Q215, maintaining its upward trend. This way, Mexico became the largest market in Latin America in number of subscribers while Brazil is still falling.

 

According to IFT data, DTH services – Sky Mexico and Dish – accounted for 56% of total subscribers and cable operator the remaining 44%. At the end of Q216, Grupo Televisa had 60% of market share (Sky 38.7%, Cablemás 6.6%, Cablevision 5.2%, Cablecom 4.1%, Cablevision 2.5% and TVI 2.8%), followed by Dish-MVS with 17.1%, Megacable with 15.5% and other operators 7.4%.

 

Meanwhile, the crisis in Brazil affected the pay TV market. As a result, in Q216 Brazil lost its leading market position in Latin America. According to data from regulator Anatel, in June Brazil recorded 18.9 million subscribers. In its forecast for the Latin American pay TV market, Dataxis had already anticipated that Mexico would become the leader of the market in Latin America this year, surpassing Brazil.