IPTV represents 51.3% of Movistar’s total TV accesses in Chile at the end of Q2 2021

As part of its Q2 2021 financial results report presentation, the telecommunications company Telefonica, whose operations in Chile and the rest of Latin America, except for Brazil, are branded as ‘Movistar’, reported that fiber accesses (FTTH) in Chile grew 62.7% year-on-year. According to the information reported, the company ended June with 974 thousand FTTH accesses. In addition, IPTV accesses represent more than 50% of the company’s total TV accesses.

The already mentioned 974 thousand FTTH accesses represent, in turn, 81% of the total fixed broadband accesses, a percentage that continues to grow, since, as of Q2 2020, broadband accesses via FTTH represented 61%. The figure rose to 68% in Q3 2020; 73% in Q4 last year; 77% as of March 31st; and, finally, the already mentioned 81% at the end of Q2 2021.

From Movistar Chile they reported that total fixed broadband accesses, including FTTH and ADSL and VDSL accesses, achieved a growth of 22.3% in relation to Q2 2020, and totaled almost 1.2 million as of June 30th. In addition, according to the company, the FTTH good performance was able to offset the lower ADSL and VDSL accesses, which ended June with a total of 224 thousand. In terms of revenues, those of broadband grew 20.7% compared to Q2 2020, driven by FTTH accesses growth.

Regarding TV content, Movistar Chile reported a total of 544,056 accesses to its DTH and IPTV offers at the end of Q2, a figure that represents a 14.6% year-on-year growth. Of the figure already mentioned, 278,830 were IPTV accesses, which showed a 122.1% growth compared to Q2 2020. In turn, IPTV accesses represent 51.3% of total TV accesses as of June 30th, 2021. The company also achieved good results on its OTT offer: ‘Movistar Play Full’ clients totaled 16.6 thousand at the end of Q2 2021.

On the other hand, at the beginning of July, Movistar Chile announced the closing of the transaction for 100% of InfraCO. According to the terms of the transaction, Movistar Chile will keep 40% of the subsidiary, while the remaining 60% will belong to the US multinational company KKR Alameda Aggregator L.P. The aim of the initiative will be focused on accelerating the FTTH deployment in Chile, through the creation of a new standalone company that will operate the first free access FTTH network in the country. As a result of the operation, the ON * NET Fibra company has officially started operating in Chile in mid-July.