Brazilian free-to-air TV networks Record, RedeTV and SBT announced that on March 29, after the analogue switch-off in Sao Paulo, they will abandon the lineups of pay TV operators Net, Claro HDTV, Sky, Vivo and Oi.
In a statement, the broadcasters said that the operators “refuse to negotiate transmission rights with Record TV, SBT and RedeTV, contrary to what they already do with foreign groups and even with other national broadcasters”.
Simba Content, the joint venture created to negotiate the digital signals of the three companies, said in a statement “it will make every effort to ensure that the customers of these companies do not lose the content of the three channels, which represent a significant part of the pay-TV audience”.
Last Thursday, March 23rd, the country’s main operator, Net (América Móvil), started to inform its subscribers, through channel 530, that so far did not reach an agreement with Record, RedeTV and SBT and “the transmission of these channels could be suspended indefinitely. ”
In February, Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper reported that Simba wants to charge operators R$ 3 (USD 1) per month per subscriber to maintain the digital channels in Pay TV operator’s lineups after the ASO in Sao Paulo, according to people involved in the negotiations. This would represent the operators a monthly cost of R$ 700 million (USD 225 million) and 5% increase in the price of plans.