In an exclusive interview with NexTV News India at the NexTV Series Mumbai organized by Dataxis Nikhil Naik- Director Global Content and Acquisition of Vuclip declared that content strategy remains the most important factor for the survival of an OTT platform. According to Naik, “Content is king for an OTT service in India”.
- Q. Can you please give us a broad overview of Vuclip global activities?
- A. Vuclip is a premium video-on-demand service for emerging markets with 9 million subscribers across nine countries. With strategic partnerships with over 270 studios around the world, Vuclip brings to subscribers Bollywood blockbusters, regional movies, English TV shows and music videos in India. It is in line with Vuclip’s localized content strategy in India to offer mutli-genre video content in more than 10 different languages. Vuclip and its subsidiaries are headquartered in Milpitas, California and have a presence in Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Dubai, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta and Bangkok.
- Q. Vuclip has just launched its OTT service Viu in India last month, how is it going so far?
- A. Viu is a freemium OTT service launched in India with more than 42000 hours of fresh, first-on-Viu, the best of Bollywood and Hollywood content to entertain the diverse Indian audience. Viu has been launched as a freemium service, with Indian consumers having access to thousands of hours of content for free (around 70% of the overall content). Consumers can also subscribe to a premium portion of the service which includes an ad-free experience, as well as access to additional premium content for INR 99(US$ 1.49) per month on Android devices. Moreover, all our content is downloadable and Viu is accessible via mobile phones and tablets as well as desktops by downloading the Viu app. We are pretty much satisfied of Viu activities in India and we’ll keep on innovating to provide the best content for our subscribers.
- Q. What are the content strategies of Vuclip for Viu in India?
- A. Viu has various content partnerships with top production houses and content owners such as Reliance, Sony Music, Zee Digital Convergence, Tips Industries Ltd, Balaji Motion Pictures, Rajshri Entertainment, Unisys Infosolutions, Shemaroo, Anand Audio, and BBC Worldwide to keep our viewers entertained. Our content strategy is to provide local content with regional languages along with English language content so as to rope in maximum subscribers. We also have local shows and programming that will be available exclusively on our OTT platforms.
- Q. The OTT market is fast growing in India, how is Vuclip dealing with it?
- A. The OTT industry in India is very competitive and is attracting a host of VOD services – be it local or international. Compared to other OTT providers, Viu is a premium OTT service with more local and regional content. Backed by our experience of operating in several south Asian markets, we bet high on the revenue generation potential of Indian content in overseas markets. Solving user problems is the right way to approach a new market, and this will show revenue growth for the players. For example, for the Asian market where we operate, by providing quick and quality subtitles along with simulcast options of popular Korean dramas we won subscribers in Malaysia. Our focus for India is to provide local and international content that best suit the subscribers. As said before, content is king for an OTT service in India.