Mexico’s pay TV surpasses 20 million subs in Q316

The Mexican Federal Telecommunications Institute (IFT) released the results of its statistical report for the third quarter of 2016. According to IFT, the pay TV market reached 20.5 million subscriptions in September, up 17.6% when compared to Q315.

Pay TV penetration grew from 54% in Q315 to 62% in Q316. At the end of September, satellite operators accounted for 58% of total subscribers, while the remaining 42% corresponded to cable.

According to IFT, within the DTH segment, Sky (Televisa-AT&T) had 63.9% of market share and Dish the remaining 36.1%. However, the regulator points out that Dish increased by 5.8 percentage points its share compared to the same period of 2015.

In Q316, Grupo Televisa had 57.1% of market share in the pay TV market (Sky 36.8%, Cablemas 7.5%, Cablevisión 5.0%, Cablecom 2.8%, Televisión Internacional 2.5% and Cablevisión Red 2.5% ), followed by Dish-MVS with 20.8% and Megacable-MCM with 14.8%.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Print this pageEmail this to someone