Chilean court confirms DirecTV fine for uncertified set-top boxes

The Court of Appeals of Santiago has confirmed the fine of more than USD 1 million imposed on DTH operator DirecTV by the Electricity and Fuels Superintendence (SEC) for the use of uncertified set-top boxes.

According to local daily Diario Financiero,  57% of the fine corresponded to a failure to provide the requested information and the remaining 43% to the provision of uncertified set-top boxes.

The case was made public in 2015 following a fire in a house in Talcahuano, which local media reported would have been caused by the overheating of one of this equipment. According to SEC, it is estimated that the company installed more than 980,000 decoders without certification.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Print this pageEmail this to someone