AT&T wont have to disinvest in Sky Mexico

ATT-logo

AT&T Mexico said in a statement that the conditions imposed by Mexican regulator IFT to approve the merger with Time Warner “do not contemplate a structural separation or divestment processes” in Sky nor HBO LAG.

“The IFT disclosed a series of conditions to which this transaction is subject, aimed at maintaining and promoting competition in the sector. These conditions do not contemplate a structural separation or disinvestment processes of the companies,” AT&T said in its statement.

The clarification came after this media reported last Friday that the Mexican regulator required AT&T to stop being a shareholder of Sky. AT&T currently owns 41% of the DTH operator (the remaining 59% is owned by Televisa Group).

The telecom company said the regulator’s conditions “establish mechanisms for the business of Time Warner, Sky Mexico and HBO LAG to maintain independent operations, as they have been doing so far.”

AT&T further clarified that it has “the right to appoint directors to the board of Sky Mexico, but it must ensure that they are not involved in Time Warner’s operations regarding video programming with pay TV operators in Mexico.”

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Print this pageEmail this to someone